Travellers of all ages are welcome!
4 more travelers and this holiday will be confirmed.
1 person is interested
7 spots available
This is a holiday dedicated to
Brief description of the holiday
WWF TRAVEL RESEARCH CRUISES: WHALE WATCHING BUT NOT ONLY!
WWF Travel offers a sailing cruise where travelers will be involved in WWF scientific research activities for the protection of Mediterranean megafauna. A sea and navigation experience accompanied by WWF researchers , where you can learn to observe, identify and protect the cetaceans of our seas with strictly non-invasive methods.
For travelers it will be an opportunity to enjoy natural and marine beauties , to have fun in the most beautiful seas of the Mediterranean and at the same time to develop skills of great scientific interest such as:
• naturalistic photography techniques and photo-identification techniques
• monitoring methodologies
• behavior sampling techniques
• use of research equipment : GPS, navigation software, binoculars with reticles, video camera and BORIS software for acquiring surface behavioral data.
The atmosphere that reigns on the boat is serene and informal and all the people on board will be involved in the activities on board (such as cooking, keeping the boat in order, ..) , in order to preserve the sharing spirit that characterizes this type of vacation. The daily activities, in agreement with the skipper and the researcher, will be modulated and variable according to the weather and sea conditions and the identification of itineraries that lend themselves extemporaneously to scientific research. For this, as a crew we will need to be flexible and understand that working with animals in the wild is not 100% plannable. Sometimes the observations of cetaceans will require longer navigations just in order to make an observation. But this is precisely the beauty of a cruise that has a scientific research component!
WHY CHOOSE WWF TRAVEL?
1) RESPONSIBLE TOURISM : we are among the founding members of AITR, the Italian Association of Responsible Tourism; for us, making a trip means first of all implementing all the good practices aimed at respecting the environment , local communities and supporting the protection of biodiversity;
2) EXPERTISE and KNOWLEDGE : we attach enormous value to competence, in fact the WWF researchers all come from naturalistic training courses, but above all they have a very clear objective, that is to give depth to the emotions experienced on board and ensure that your wealth of knowledge is much heavier when returning from an experience with the WWF, enriching every moment lived in search of the inhabitants of the sea with details.
3) FUN AND PLEASURE : let's never forget that we are talking about holidays. We want to get to know the nature that surrounds us better, but we want to do it by enjoying the beauty of the places we are visiting and appreciating the pleasure of sharing the experience with our travel companions in a cheerful and relaxed atmosphere .
PLACES AND ITINERARY
We will leave from Nettuno , a port that is very easy to reach both by train and by own means. Our route will be directed towards the archipelago of the Pontine islands: we will admire the magnificent Pontine islands, between Palmarola and Ponza. We will admire the thousand colors of the sea, rocks and vegetation.
We will decide the itinerary based on the weather conditions and the indications of the skipper and the WWF expert.
Do you want to get excited with little? Fun and healthy life on the boat await you too, including aperitifs, dinners under the stars and swimming in natural pools, respecting the environment, with new and old friends.
Alberto B. will be on board this experience: click on the name to read the reviews he has received from travellers.
Alberto was born as a diver, then moved on to the world of sailing to combine his two greatest passions and two beautiful and fascinating ways of experiencing the sea. He defines himself as an all-round sailor who loves the sea in all its shapes, colors, aspects and respects it deeply. He spent two years sailing between the Atlantic and Indian Oceans before returning to Italy and sailing between the Aeolian Islands, the Pontine Islands, Northern Sardinia and Southern Corsica.
The boat is a Bavaria 50 Cruiser from 2008, I immediately fell in love with this boat as soon as I saw it.
Very comfortable and spacious with all the main comforts, with a large awning to shelter from the sun during the day.
Inside it has 4 cabins, so divided into 1 very large master cabin forward, 2 double aft cabins and a cabin with bunk beds. (All cabins have a 12 V socket to charge cell phones)
It has 3 bathrooms, all with 220 V socket to use the phono, electric toilets, showers and hot water sufficient for all.
A large dinette with TV, stereo, 2-burner stove, an oven and two fridges
Fast and comfortable, also suitable for learning the basics and starting to sail.
Equipped with rullaranda, genova and gennaker
Two water tanks which in total make 900 liters
A large tender of 3.10 m, with a 5 hp engine that can comfortably accommodate up to 9 people
A Sup for those who want to keep fit and an inflatable mattress for those who want to relax.
Our trip starts here
Nettuno, RM, Italia
Friday 21 April from 18:00 until Friday 21 April at 20:00
Our trip ends here
Nettuno, RM, Italia
Tuesday 25 April from 18:00 until Tuesday 25 April at 20:00
Reviews of WWF Travel
Other important information
LIFE ON BOARD
The boat is equipped with 4 comfortable cabins and a spacious dinette. All cabins are dedicated to guests, except for one bed in the bunk cabin dedicated to the biologist; the skipper will occupy the dinette.
The galley will be done by the participants once everyone has arrived at the port; the skipper will give some indications and advice.
This experience is based on the spirit of sharing, so everyone on board will be involved in the various activities including cooking, tidying up, helping with maneuvers and many others. The atmosphere will be convivial and informal.
WHAT TO BRING
Recommended: car mobile phone charger, soft bags, boat shoes, slippers, fins and mask, sunscreen, biodegradable shampoo and shower gel, oilskin and a great desire to have fun with care and adaptability.
HOW TO REACH THE BOARDING PLACE
The port of Nettuno is easily reachable by train; the station is about 500m away.
Alternatively, you can easily reach it by car and park inside the marina, or immediately outside in the paid parking lots.
Cancellations and Refund
For all cetacean watching and research cruises with SKIPPER on board of a SAILBOAT or GOLET the Standard Sailsquare Policies apply..
- If you are more than 45 days away from departure, you can
pay a deposit of about 30% and pay the
balance within 30 days before departure. For this type
of payment there is a handling fee of 25€..
- As long as the Experience is Not Confirmed, you can cancel your reservation at any time and receive a refund of the amount paid.
- If the Experience is Confirmed, you can cancel your reservation up to 30 days before departure and receive a full refund.
- If available for the selected Experience, you can choose our Extended Refund Terms and cancel your booking at any time up to the departure, and receive a refund of the paid amount, upon the occurrence of certain conditions (illness, including Covid-19, work-related reason, domestic emergency, previous medical conditions and many more).
If your vacation is not confirmed, you may pay:
- 30% as a deposit at the time of booking
- The balance when the vacation is confirmed or, 30 days before departure if it is not confirmed before.
If the vacation is confirmed, you can pay:
- 60% as a deposit at the time of booking
- The balance 30 days before departure.
- Unconfirmed vacation: you can cancel when you want: you will receive a full refund of the amount paid, net of any additional services.
- Confirmed vacation: if you cancel your reservation 30 or more days before departure, a penalty of 60% will apply. a 60% penalty. If you cancel less than 30 days days before departure, a penalty of 100% applies.
Knowing what expenses are included and excluded from your booking fee will enable you to have a good idea of the total cost of your chosen experience.
Included in the price.
- Final cleaning
- Mandatory medical and baggage insurance
- WWF guide
Not included in the price.
- Meals/drinks consumed ashore
- Trip from and to embarkment/disembarkment port
To be paid onboard.
In addition to the price, there will be some additional expenses that you will incur during your trip. Expenses have been listed below.
- Meals onboard
- Mooring fees
- Drinks onboard
The estimated expenses for the rest of the holiday are approximately 150-200€ per person.