This is a holiday dedicated to
Brief description of the holiday
NOTE: THE PRICE INDICATED IS PER PERSON IN THE QUADRUPLE CAB. FOR DOUBLE OR TRIPLE CAB, CONTACT THE ORGANIZER
Discovering the animals and environments of the Arctic, an extraordinary circumnavigation by ship of the archipelago and excursions on foot and by raft in the company of a biologist expert in vertebrate fauna.
We will sail through the fjords aboard a research ship, in the absolute silence of nature, interrupted only by the sound of the wind, the sea and the breaking ice and we will have the opportunity to observe a magnificent landscape capable of giving unique emotions, in the last inhabited land north of the planet.
Polar bears, walruses, 5 species of seals, 12 whales and dolphins and around 30 species of arctic birds: a dream frozen scenery . The Arctic as one imagines it.
The extension on the Norwegian mainland to Dovrefjell for the observation of the Musk Ox in the wild completes this extraordinary journey.
- Observe the polar bear in its environment
- To the north, up to 600 miles from the geographic pole
- The northernmost inhabited archipelago in the world
- Walruses, bearded seals and belugas. 19 species of marine mammals
- The Arctic Fox and the Svalbard Reindeer, mammals adapted to the polar cold
- The Sperm Whale, Humpback Whales and the very rare Greenland Whale survived the 19th century massacre
- Arctic birdlife: 30 "extremist" bird species
Arrival in Longyearbyen and overnight at the hotel.
Longyearbyen is the largest island in the Svalbard archipelago. In the early evening the ship sails from Isfjorden, possible sightings of cetaceans
Day 3 and Day 4
Depending on the climatic conditions, we will head towards the mouth of Liefdefjorden with a view of the 5 kilometer wall of the imposing Munich Glacier. The waters in front of this glacier are a favorite feeding point for thousands of kittiwake, and the base of the ice is a polar bear hunting ground. If ice conditions prevent navigation, an alternative route can be implemented along the west coast of Spitsbergen.
Navigation to the Hinlopen Strait, excellent for Bearded Seals, Ringed Seals, Polar Bears and the Ivory Gull. We will sail among the ice floes with the Zodiacs and we will explore the cliffs of Alkefjellet with thousands of Brünnich Urie. On the east side of the Hinlopen Strait we will attempt a landing at Palanderbukta on Nordaustlandet, which is home to Reindeer, Footed Geese, Ivory Gulls and Walrus
At 81 ° north, just 540km from the North Pole, towards the Seven Islands. Shore excursion to Phippsøya which is home to numerous groups of walruses. We will then try to find the pack-ice to admire the surrounding spectacle and we will go in search of Polar Bears and Ross's Seagull
Sailing west, excellent chances for sighting polar bears and, with luck, the very rare and elusive Greenland whales. Approximately 40 nautical miles west of Spitsbergen, we will sail on the edge of the continental shelf, an optimal feeding area for fin whales during the summer for upwelling phenomena. At the mouth of Kongsfjorden, good chances of spotting minke whales.
Walruses often show up in Forlandsundet. Alternatively, navigation in the fjord of St. Johns or south to the mouth of Isfjorden, with disembarkation in Alkhornet. An astonishing number of seabirds nest on these cliffs, while Arctic foxes roam for eggs and fallen chicks, and Svalbard reindeer graze in the sparse vegetation. Arrive in Longyearbyen at night.
Flight to Oslo and return to Italy. If the flights do not allow the return to Italy during the day, overnight stay in Oslo (not included).
THE PRICE INCLUDES:
- Arctic ship cruise to Svalbard as per detailed program, accommodation in quadruple cabin. Possible accommodations in double or triple cabin, on request and with supplement.
- Full board treatment on the cruise ship (including tea and coffee snacks)
- Biologist escort for the entire duration of the trip
- All excursions by boat and on foot
- All ground transfers
- Medical insurance - baggage
- Overnight on the day of arrival in Longyearbyen
THE FEE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Air flight and airport taxes
- All meals not mentioned or dinner on the first day in Longyearbean and any dinner on the last day in Oslo
- Trip cancellation insurance
- Tips and personal extras and in general what is not included in "Inclusive Services"
The M / V “Plancius” was built in 1976 as an oceanographic research vessel for the Dutch Navy . The ship was used by the Navy until June 2004 and in 2009 was completely rebuilt as a passenger ship for 114 people .
M / V “Plancius” meets the criteria of the recent SOLAS (Safety Of Life At Sea) regulation, is classified by Lloyd's Register in London and carries the Dutch flag.
She can accommodate 114 people in 53 cabins with private bathroom and shower . There are 4 quadruple porthole cabins, 2 triple porthole cabins, 9 double porthole cabins, 26 double window cabins and 2 deluxe double cabins, all (approximately 15 square meters) and 10 superior double cabins (approximately 21 square meters).
Inside the ship there is a restaurant and a reading room on deck 3, while on deck 5 there is a spacious observation room with bar and large windows , with the opportunity to enjoy panoramic views.
The ship also has large open spaces to admire the landscape and wildlife . M / V "Plancius" is equipped with 17 crew members, 19 hotel staff members (6 chefs, 1 hotel manager, 1 steward-barman and 11 stewards / cleaners), 8 members of the expedition staff (1 expedition leader and 7 guides) and 1 doctor.
Check out the crew!
Our trip starts here
Longyearbyen, Svalbard e Jan Mayen
Tuesday 21 June from 12:00 until Tuesday 21 June at 12:00
Our trip ends here
Longyearbyen, Svalbard e Jan Mayen
Wednesday 29 June from 13:00 until Wednesday 29 June at 13:00
Reviews of WWF Travel
Other important information
TRAVEL DIFFICULTY LEVEL : Easy, suitable for everyone, as long as they are in good physical shape.
DOCUMENTS : Passport or identity card valid for expatriation, which must be valid for the entire period of stay in the country. In some cases (bank transactions, wire transfers, etc.) it is mandatory to show a passport.
CLOTHING: Comfortable and heavy / winter clothing. You dress like in the mountains on the snow. The temperatures are not particularly rigid (oscillating around 0 ° C, but beware of the wind chill!). Long snow pants if you have them. Abound with socks and underwear, pants. preferably thermal underwear. Abound with heavy socks. Sweatshirts and fleece. Pajamas. Winter jacket. Clear glasses if you have them (for the wind). Scarf / scaldotto, cap, gloves suitable for the season. Better to have more gloves (they can get wet). Trekking shoes. NOTE: Expedition boots are provided.
GREEN PASS and COVID19 : Due to the current health emergency and the consequent provisions issued by local authorities, the itinerary may undergo some changes before and / or during the trip. . We advise the kind travelers to bring their own mask. To stay in the structures, to enter some places and to carry out some activities as scheduled, it will be necessary to provide the Green Pass .
CANCELLATION INSURANCE TOPIC : Following the balance, it will be possible to contact the WWF Travel organizer directly and take out cancellation insurance (not mandatory). NB: The coverage of the cancellation policy refers exclusively to the amount of the participation fee.
Cancellations and Refund
For all cetacean watching and research cruises with SKIPPER on board of a SAILBOAT or GOLET the Standard Sailsquare Policies apply..
- If you are more than 45 days away from departure, you can
pay a deposit of about 30% and pay the
balance within 30 days before departure. For this type
of payment there is a handling fee of 25€..
- As long as the Experience is Not Confirmed, you can cancel your reservation at any time and receive a refund of the amount paid.
- If the Experience is Confirmed, you can cancel your reservation up to 30 days before departure and receive a full refund.
- If available for the selected Experience, you can choose our Extended Refund Terms and cancel your booking at any time up to the departure, and receive a refund of the paid amount, upon the occurrence of certain conditions (illness, including Covid-19, work-related reason, domestic emergency, previous medical conditions and many more).
If your vacation is not confirmed, you may pay:
- 30% as a deposit at the time of booking
- The balance when the vacation is confirmed or, 30 days before departure if it is not confirmed before.
If the vacation is confirmed, you can pay:
- 60% as a deposit at the time of booking
- The balance 30 days before departure.
- Unconfirmed vacation: you can cancel when you want: you will receive a full refund of the amount paid, net of any additional services.
- Confirmed vacation: if you cancel your reservation 30 or more days before departure, a penalty of 60% will apply. a 60% penalty. If you cancel less than 30 days days before departure, a penalty of 100% applies.
Knowing what expenses are included and excluded from your booking fee will enable you to have a good idea of the total cost of your chosen experience.
Included in the price.
- Drinks as stated in the programme
- Activities as stated in the programme
- Full board
- Insurance coverages as stated in the programme
- Accommodation as stated in the programme
- WWF guide
- Equipment as per programme
- Local transport as stated in the programme
- Trips as described
- Meals as stated in the programme
To be paid onboard.
In addition to the price, there will be some additional expenses that you will incur during your trip. Expenses have been listed below.
- Flights and transfers from/to the destination
- Meals not listed in the programme
- Airport fee
- Personal extras
- Pernottamento il giorno dell'arrivo a Longyearbyen (ca. € 130/pax.)
The estimated expenses for the rest of the holiday are approximately > 300€ per person.