Why you should book a holiday with Sailsquare?
The leading sailing holiday marketplace
25,000+ happy travellers, and 10,000+ holidays in 110 destinations worldwide.
Get onboard solo, with your family, or your friends
Reserve a single spot, a cabin, or a whole boat just for you and your friends or family.
Discover who’s already onboard
Introduce yourselves online, get to know each other onboard, and go home with a bunch of new friends.
Sailing holidays that suit all budgets
Rumour has it that sailing holidays are only for the rich or well-connected. With Sailsquare, that's no longer true. Come and discover a world you never thought was accessible!
Reviews - Yacht sailing holidays & skippered tours in Liguria and Cinque Terre1164 reviews
Would you like some support using the platform? We've (almost) always got the answers!
Can't find the perfect holiday for you?
Use our free holiday concierge tool - and let us find your dream sailing experience for you!Let's find it together!
6 reasons to choose Liguria as your next sailing vacation destination
- A fantastic region, which offers ideal conditions for everyone: from the first cruise on a boat with family or friends, to the possibility of practicing the art of sailing even in winter, sheltered by the Gulf of La Spezia.
- Explore the famous 5 Terre, unique places in the world and UNESCO World Heritage Site, from a new perspective: from the sea.
- Liguria offers not only sea and breathtaking beaches but also good food to taste in the beautiful colorful villages, from focaccia di Recco to the original Genoese pesto.
- Near the big cities of northern Italy, ideal for a weekend or a day of relaxation, between boat and beautiful beaches, sports, panoramic aperitifs and emotions.
- The longest and narrowest region of Italy lends itself perfectly to be visited by boat, enjoying both the sea and the green mountains behind it. .
- Explore Portovenere, the beautiful village that made Byron and Shelley fall in love, giving the area the name of Golfo dei Poeti (Gulf of the Poets).
Main places to discover by sailing in Liguria
Monterosso, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore are the places that make up the famous Cinque Terre: by sailing boat you can discover them in the best way. Go ashore and walk along the scenic paths that connect them, or enjoy them from the bow of the boat and stop for an aperitif in your favorite. Not for nothing is this one of the most popular routes when you decide to sail along the coast of Liguria.
But Liguria's heritage doesn't end here: there are also well-preserved secrets that can only be reached by sea. Like in Camogli, where just a few minutes' boat ride from the coast you can admire the beautiful statue of the Christ of the Abyss who resides 17m below sea level. This is truly an ideal location for a sailing excursion in Liguria with diving, if you are a fan.
Sailing vacations for all tastes: Liguria is suitable for all types of travelers, from couples who want to treat themselves to a romantic weekend to families who decide to indulge in a few days of relaxation, through aspiring sailors who want to do a sailing course with skipper.
If you want to indulge in a little time in luxury, you can indulge in the area of Portofino or Sanremo, between yachts, casinos and fine restaurants.
Everything you need to know about your next sailing vacation in Liguria
- Liguria has a pleasant Mediterranean climate, perfect for sailing especially during the summer period. The busiest time of course is the month of August: better to choose June, July and September to rent a sailboat in Liguria. With a trusted skipper, however, you can discover unspoiled corners of paradise even in high season.
- Being a fairly small region, Liguria is perfect for a day trip sailing. A weekend of sailing and relaxation, to disconnect from the stresses of everyday life and enjoy the beauty of Liguria.
- The wind is moderate and gives you pleasant sailing even in winter, and from the boat you can enjoy the best beaches in total peace and relaxation.
- With three airports (La Spezia, Savona and Genoa) served by various low-cost airlines, it is possible to arrive from all over Italy at competitive prices, especially if you manage to book in advance. In addition to planes, Liguria has an excellent rail network that crosses the entire region so as to connect in a fairly easy way all the main and secondary locations.
The best itineraries for your next sailing vacation in Liguria
Sailing tour of the Cinque Terre
Needless to say, the Cinque Terre are among the most sought-after destinations in Liguria. The tour of the Cinque Terre can start in La Spezia and continue towards Portovenere. After a night at anchor, you will reach Riomaggiore, and there you can choose whether to go ashore or continue by sea, with a few stops along the other villages of the Cinque Terre as far as Vernazza.
In the evening you can relax again with a night at anchor. The next day, we set sail again on our way back home, and after a stop on the island of Palmaria, in Tino and in Lerci, we return to the port in the late afternoon for disembarkation. An unforgettable weekend for a beautiful sailing experience.
Weekend between Golfo dei Poeti and Santa Margherita Ligure
Sail towards the beautiful Portovenere for the sunset and to spend the first night in the Golfo dei Poeti, perhaps at anchor in front of the Borgo delle Grazie The next day you sail past the Cinque Terre, heading for Santa Margherita Ligure, where you'll spend the night with a cocktail in hand and your feet in the sand. You will sail along the Tigullio coastline, admiring the Ligurian coastline from the sea, with plenty of time to capture the most beautiful snapshots with your eyes, in a succession of breathtaking landscapes. An experience that will not disappoint. On Sunday, calmly, we return to the base.
Exploring the western part of Liguria
Move towards France towards Alassio, for a weekend of sun and relaxation on a sailing cruise that will take us to the Gulf of the Sun, the Island Gallinara and enchanting places like Capo Mele or Bordighera. A short but intense taste of what a sailing vacation in Liguria can offer beyond the most famous Cinque Terre and Portofino.