Travellers of all ages are welcome!
This holiday has already taken place!
Have a look at similar experiences to "Whale watching cruise with WWF researcher on an 18-meter schooner"!
This is a holiday dedicated to
Brief description of the holiday
WWF TRAVEL SEARCH CRUISES: WHALE WATCHING BUT NOT ONLY!
WWF Travel offers a cruise on a sailing boat where travelers will be involved in WWF scientific research activities for the protection of the Mediterranean megafauna. A sea and navigation experience accompanied by WWF researchers , where you can learn to observe, identify and protect, with strictly non-invasive methods, the cetaceans of our seas.
For travelers it will be an opportunity to enjoy naturalistic and marine beauties , to have fun in the most beautiful seas of the Mediterranean and at the same time to develop skills of great scientific interest such as:
• naturalistic photography techniques and photo-identification techniques
• monitoring methodologies
• behavior sampling techniques
• use of research instruments : GPS, navigation software, binoculars with reticles, video camera and BORIS software for the acquisition of surface behavioral data.
The atmosphere that reigns on the boat is serene and informal and the daily activities, in agreement with the skipper and the researcher, will be modulated and variable according to the weather and sea conditions and the identification of itineraries that lend themselves extemporaneously to scientific research.
For this reason, as a crew, we will need to be flexible and to understand that working with animals in nature cannot be 100% planned ... but this is precisely the beauty of a cruise that has a scientific research component!
WHY CHOOSE WWF TRAVEL?
1) RESPONSIBLE TOURISM : we are among the founding members of AITR, the Italian Association of Responsible Tourism; for us, making a trip means first of all implementing all good practices aimed at respecting the environment , local communities and supporting the protection of biodiversity;
2) COMPETENCE and KNOWLEDGE : we give enormous value to competence in fact the WWF researchers all come from naturalistic training courses, but above all they have a very clear goal, that is to give depth to the emotions experienced on board and ensure that your wealth of knowledge is much heavier when returning from an experience with WWF, enriching every moment lived in search of the inhabitants of the sea with details.
3) FUN AND PLEASURE : we never forget that we are talking about holidays. We want to get to know the nature that surrounds us better, but we want to do it by enjoying the beauty of the places we are visiting and appreciating the pleasure of sharing the experience with our travel companions in a cheerful and relaxed atmosphere .
PLACES AND ITINERARY
Sailing with Francesco and his crew means taking a step back in time, it means experiencing those emotions that only history with its traditions can give you. Lie on the deck, eyes closed, the sun warming your face and feel the gentle roll of the boat as it safely plows through the water
We therefore propose an adventure inside the Mediterranean Cetacean Sanctuary , in an area between the Island of Elba, the Tuscan Coast and Liguria, Corsica , starting from the port of Orbetello.
The skipper of this experience will be Francesco N .. Check out the great reviews he has already received on Sailsquare. On board with Francesco you will also find two other people who will help him during the navigation and will live with you a magical experience in search of cetaceans. For those who wish during the experience it will be possible to learn sailing notions with a small course held by the skipper.
A characteristic 18-meter schooner , with auric sails, built entirely of wood and designed for an environmental project to raise awareness on the theme of plastic in the sea.
COVID FREE HOLIDAY
In the case of mixed crews (no families or pre-established groups), the participants of this holiday will be required to exhibit a negative result certificate of rapid antigen swab , carried out in the 48 hours prior to departure. Quick swabs can be made at the pharmacy and provide the result in 15 minutes, reservations are often required. Alternatively, it is necessary to present a vaccination certificate certifying complete vaccination (two doses, where required).
Schooner 60 Piedi, Westergard Boats
Wooden schooner, auric rig, traditional construction
Lung. On deck. 18.14 m wide mt. 4.67 draft mt. 2.49
Comfort: 2 double cabins, 2 triple cabins, 1 quadruple cabin, 1 navigator berth (total 15 beds);
2 bathrooms, dinette, kitchen with oven.
Instruments: compass, VHF, GPS Navionics, manual windlass, awning, tender with outboard.
100hp aspirated FTP engine
Our trip starts here
Talamone, GR, Italia
Sunday 8 August from 18:00 until Sunday 8 August at 19:00
Our trip ends here
Talamone, GR, Italia
Saturday 14 August from 15:00 until Saturday 14 August at 16:00
Reviews of WWF Travel
Other important information
WHAT TO BRING
I advise you to bring rain gear: at sea the weather can change suddenly, do not use rigid suitcases on the boat, spaces are limited.
If you think you suffer from seasickness, you can buy special tablets at the pharmacy.
HOW TO REACH THE BOARDING PLACE
Trains to Grosseto, Tiemme bus or taxi to Talamone. By car, exit the SS1 at Fonteblanda and follow the signs for Talamone. Once you arrive at the port contact me by mobile for updated directions.
Cancellations and Refund
For all cetacean watching and research cruises with SKIPPER on board of a SAILBOAT or GOLET the Standard Sailsquare Policies apply..
- If you are more than 45 days away from departure, you can
pay a deposit of about 30% and pay the
balance within 30 days before departure. For this type
of payment there is a handling fee of 25€..
- As long as the Experience is Not Confirmed, you can cancel your reservation at any time and receive a refund of the amount paid.
- If the Experience is Confirmed, you can cancel your reservation up to 30 days before departure and receive a full refund.
- If available for the selected Experience, you can choose our Extended Refund Terms and cancel your booking at any time up to the departure, and receive a refund of the paid amount, upon the occurrence of certain conditions (illness, including Covid-19, work-related reason, domestic emergency, previous medical conditions and many more).
If your vacation is not confirmed, you may pay:
- 30% as a deposit at the time of booking
- The balance when the vacation is confirmed or, 30 days before departure if it is not confirmed before.
If the vacation is confirmed, you can pay:
- 60% as a deposit at the time of booking
- The balance 30 days before departure.
- Unconfirmed vacation: you can cancel when you want: you will receive a full refund of the amount paid, net of any additional services.
- Confirmed vacation: if you cancel your reservation 30 or more days before departure, a penalty of 60% will apply. a 60% penalty. If you cancel less than 30 days days before departure, a penalty of 100% applies.
Knowing what expenses are included and excluded from your booking fee will enable you to have a good idea of the total cost of your chosen experience.
Included in the price.
- Final cleaning
- WWF guide
Not included in the price.
- Meals/drinks consumed ashore
- Trip from and to embarkment/disembarkment port
To be paid onboard.
In addition to the price, there will be some additional expenses that you will incur during your trip. Expenses have been listed below.
- Mooring fees
- Tessera associativa ASD - 15€/persona
- 25€/persona al giorno obbligatori per la cambusa (effettuata dall’equipaggio prima dell'imbarco)
- 75€/giorno per carburante (da dividere tra i Viaggiatori)
The estimated expenses for the rest of the holiday are approximately 200-300€ per person.