Travellers of all ages are welcome!
6 more travelers and this holiday will be confirmed.
1 person is interested
6 spots available
This is a holiday dedicated to
Brief description of the holiday
WWF TRAVEL SEARCH CRUISES: WHALE WATCHING BUT NOT ONLY!
WWF Travel offers a cruise on a sailing boat where travelers will be involved in WWF scientific research activities for the protection of the Mediterranean megafauna. A sea and navigation experience accompanied by WWF researchers , where you can learn to observe, identify and protect, with strictly non-invasive methods, the cetaceans of our seas.
For travelers it will be an opportunity to enjoy naturalistic and marine beauties , to have fun in the most beautiful seas of the Mediterranean and at the same time to develop skills of great scientific interest such as:
• naturalistic photography techniques and photo-identification techniques
• monitoring methodologies
• behavior sampling techniques
• use of research instruments : GPS, navigation software, binoculars with reticles, video camera and BORIS software for the acquisition of surface behavioral data.
The atmosphere that reigns on the boat is serene and informal and all the people on board will be involved in the activities on board (such as cooking, keeping the boat in order, ...) , in order to preserve the spirit of sharing that characterizes this type of holidays. The daily activities, in agreement with the skipper and the researcher, will be modulated and variable according to the weather and sea conditions and the identification of itineraries that lend themselves extemporaneously to scientific research. For this as a crew we will need to be flexible and to understand that working with animals in nature is not 100% planned. Sometimes the observations of cetaceans will require more prolonged navigations in order to make an observation. But this is precisely the beauty of a cruise that has a scientific research component!
WHY CHOOSE WWF TRAVEL?
1) RESPONSIBLE TOURISM : we are among the founding members of AITR, the Italian Association of Responsible Tourism; for us, making a trip means first of all implementing all good practices aimed at respecting the environment , local communities and supporting the protection of biodiversity;
2) COMPETENCE and KNOWLEDGE : we give enormous value to competence in fact the WWF researchers all come from naturalistic training courses, but above all they have a very clear objective, that is to give depth to the emotions experienced on board and ensure that your wealth of knowledge is much heavier when returning from an experience with WWF, enriching with details every moment lived in search of the inhabitants of the sea.
3) FUN AND PLEASURE : we never forget that we are talking about holidays. We want to get to know the nature that surrounds us better, but we want to do it by enjoying the beauty of the places we are visiting and appreciating the pleasure of sharing the experience with our travel companions in a cheerful and relaxed atmosphere .
PLACES AND ITINERARY
We will leave from Tonnarella (Marina di Portorosa) with a route to the Aeolian Islands. Known as the "Pearls of the Mediterranean": Lipari, Salina, Panarea, Stromboli, Vulcano, Alicudi and Filicudi form an archipelago of rare beauty, also declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. They are the place where the blue of the sea and the green of the earth blend, in the north-east of Sicily. They are volcanic islands that form a small earthly paradise: each of them has its own unique characteristics.
We will decide the itinerary based on the weather conditions and the indications of the skipper and the WWF expert.
Do you want to get excited with little? Fun and healthy life on the boat are also waiting for you, including aperitifs, dinners under the stars and swimming in natural pools, respecting the environment, with new and old friends.
On board this experience there will be Giacomo & Laura R .: click on the name to read the reviews they have received from travelers. Giacomo defines himself as a “wanderer by DNA and vocation”, in love with the sea since he was a child, since he learned to swim he has never stopped going there. She has been sailing for many years now; profound connoisseur of Sicily, he has sailed along its coasts and archipelagos, but his heart always takes him to the Aeolian Islands, his favorite destination. Laura, his partner, will be on board as an assistant skipper, she will help Giacomo in the maneuvers and management of the boat, she will not be a hostess or cook.
To participate in this experience you will be required to show the Green Pass, or a negative swab certificate carried out in the 24 preceding boarding. A quick swab is also sufficient, which can be done in the pharmacy, with results in 15/20 minutes.
4 spots available
per personmore info
Sun Odissey 45 Jeanneau
My boat is a 45-foot sloop of the Jeanneau shipyards, equipped with 4 double cabins and two bathrooms. The boat, designed by Philippe Briand, is designed for a comfortable cruise. Ease of operation and spacious interiors are its strengths for a pleasant and comfortable cruise. The boat comfortably accommodates 8 people who can get to 10 wanting to also take advantage of the two seats dinette. Our choice, except for the requests of guests who rent the entire boat, is to accommodate a maximum of 6 people, to ensure maximum comfort during the holiday. The layout of my boat includes 4 double cabins, two forward (one of which reserved for the captain and his assistant) and two aft. The two bathrooms both have double access: - direct access from the aft cabins - access from the dinette The dinette is bright and very large, equipped with a table that can be folded down to make it possible to make two more beds. The kitchen has a large worktop, double fridge, oven and 2 gas burners. A Wi-Fi network allows guests to always be connected.
Our trip starts here
Tonnarella, ME, Italia
Saturday 2 July from 17:00 until Saturday 2 July at 18:00
Our trip ends here
Tonnarella, ME, Italia
Saturday 9 July from 9:00 until Saturday 9 July at 10:00
Reviews of WWF Travel
Other important information
WHAT TO BRING
Recommended: car phone charger, soft bags, boat shoes, slippers, fins and mask, sunscreen, biodegradable shampoo and shower gel, waxed and a great desire to have fun with care and adaptability.
HOW TO REACH THE BOARDING PLACE
The Marina di Portorosa is easily reachable from Catania airport by private transfer or by bus. Alternatively, you can take the train from Catania Station to Barcellona Castroreale and from there a taxi to the port.
To have direct low cost flights connect the main Italian cities with Catania:
Ryanair (Bari, Bologna, Cagliari, Bergamo, Milan Malpensa, Perugia, Pisa, Rome (Fiumicino), Turin, Trieste, Treviso, Venice M.Polo).
Alitalia (Milan M.sa, Pisa, Rome Ciampino, Rome Fiumicino, Turin, Bologna).
Cancellations and Refund
For all cetacean watching and research cruises with SKIPPER on board of a SAILBOAT or GOLET the Standard Sailsquare Policies apply..
- If you are more than 45 days away from departure, you can
pay a deposit of about 30% and pay the
balance within 30 days before departure. For this type
of payment there is a handling fee of 25€..
- As long as the Experience is Not Confirmed, you can cancel your reservation at any time and receive a refund of the amount paid.
- If the Experience is Confirmed, you can cancel your reservation up to 30 days before departure and receive a full refund.
- If available for the selected Experience, you can choose our Extended Refund Terms and cancel your booking at any time up to the departure, and receive a refund of the paid amount, upon the occurrence of certain conditions (illness, including Covid-19, work-related reason, domestic emergency, previous medical conditions and many more).
If your vacation is not confirmed, you may pay:
- 30% as a deposit at the time of booking
- The balance when the vacation is confirmed or, 30 days before departure if it is not confirmed before.
If the vacation is confirmed, you can pay:
- 60% as a deposit at the time of booking
- The balance 30 days before departure.
- Unconfirmed vacation: you can cancel when you want: you will receive a full refund of the amount paid, net of any additional services.
- Confirmed vacation: if you cancel your reservation 30 or more days before departure, a penalty of 60% will apply. a 60% penalty. If you cancel less than 30 days days before departure, a penalty of 100% applies.
Knowing what expenses are included and excluded from your booking fee will enable you to have a good idea of the total cost of your chosen experience.
Included in the price.
- Final cleaning
- Mandatory medical and baggage insurance
- WWF guide
Not included in the price.
- Meals/drinks consumed ashore
- Trip from and to embarkment/disembarkment port
To be paid onboard.
In addition to the price, there will be some additional expenses that you will incur during your trip. Expenses have been listed below.
- Meals onboard
- Mooring fees
- Drinks onboard
The estimated expenses for the rest of the holiday are approximately 150-200€ per person.