Travellers of all ages are welcome!
4 more travelers and this holiday will be confirmed.
1 person is interested
6 spots available
This is a holiday dedicated to
Brief description of the holiday
WWF TRAVEL SEARCH EXPEDITIONS: WHALE WATCHING BUT NOT ONLY!
WWF Travel offers a sailing expedition where travelers will be involved in WWF scientific research activities for the protection of the Mediterranean megafauna. A sea and navigation experience accompanied by WWF researchers , where you can learn to observe, identify and protect, with strictly non-invasive methods, the cetaceans of our seas.
For travelers it will be an opportunity to enjoy naturalistic and marine beauties , to have fun in the most beautiful seas of the Mediterranean and at the same time to develop skills of great scientific interest such as:
• naturalistic photography techniques and photo-identification techniques
• monitoring methodologies
• behavior sampling techniques
• use of research instruments : GPS, navigation software, binoculars with reticles, video camera and BORIS software for the acquisition of surface behavioral data.
The atmosphere that reigns on the boat is serene and informal and all the people on board will be involved in the activities on board (such as cooking, keeping the boat in order, ...) , in order to preserve the spirit of sharing that characterizes this type of holidays. The daily activities, in agreement with the skipper and the researcher, will be modulated and variable according to the weather and sea conditions and the identification of itineraries that lend themselves extemporaneously to scientific research. For this as a crew we will need to be flexible and to understand that working with animals in nature is not 100% planned. Sometimes the observations of cetaceans will require more prolonged navigations in order to make an observation. But this is precisely the beauty of a cruise that has a scientific research component!
WHY CHOOSE WWF TRAVEL?
1) RESPONSIBLE TOURISM : we are among the founding members of AITR, the Italian Association of Responsible Tourism; for us, making a trip means first of all implementing all good practices aimed at respecting the environment , local communities and supporting the protection of biodiversity;
2) COMPETENCE and KNOWLEDGE : we give enormous value to competence in fact the WWF researchers all come from naturalistic training courses, but above all they have a very clear objective, that is to give depth to the emotions experienced on board and ensure that your wealth of knowledge is much heavier when returning from an experience with WWF, enriching with details every moment lived in search of the inhabitants of the sea.
3) FUN AND PLEASURE : we never forget that we are talking about holidays. We want to get to know the nature that surrounds us better, but we want to do it by enjoying the beauty of the places we are visiting and appreciating the pleasure of sharing the experience with our travel companions in a cheerful and relaxed atmosphere .
PLACES AND ITINERARY
We will leave from Loano (SV) to experience a wonderful weekend discovering Liguria. We will sail in the direction of the Riviera di Levante, to skirt the whole region. We will skirt Varazze, Genoa, the beautiful Camogli and San Fruttuoso, Chiavari to finally arrive at Levanto and the suggestive Cinque Terre and the Gulf of La Spezia with the island of Palmaria. We will immerse ourselves in the beauties of the Ligurian coast, stopping in the most enchanting bays and admiring breathtaking landscapes. It will be an experience dedicated to outdoor life and contact with nature.
We will decide the exact itinerary based on the weather conditions and the indications of the skipper and the WWF expert.
Do you want to get excited with little? Fun and healthy life on the boat are also waiting for you, including aperitifs, dinners under the stars and swimming in natural pools, respecting the environment, with new and old friends.
On board this experience there will be Nicola F .: click on the name to read the reviews he has received from travelers.
Nicola is a profound connoisseur of the area, always navigating between Liguria and the Cote d'Azur. He is described by his traveling companions as an experienced, friendly, patient skipper and very willing to teach the basics of sailing to those who request it; friendly skipper who puts the safety and satisfaction of his guests first.
Bavaria 44 Vision
A 14m sloop with teak cockpit. 4 double cabins (two twins aft + 1 with 2 bunk beds + 1 owner's cabin in the bow) 2 bathrooms with shower + dinette.
Sail rigging: Furling mainsail + Furling genoa.
Miscellaneous: chart plotter, radio, photovoltaic panel, outdoor shower, electric windlass, child protection net.
Accessories: Tender + 2Cv outboard.
Autonomy: diesel 210 lt. water 310 liters (with boiler).
Safety: 10 life jackets + 3 child life jackets + raft.
Bavaria 44 Vision model.
Length f.t. 13.95 m Width 4.25 m Seats 10 Cabins 4 Bathrooms 2 Draft 2.00 m Displacement 9,600 kg Ballast 2,100 kg Sail area 83,40 m2 Engine 55 Hp
Our trip starts here
Loano, SV, Italia
Friday 21 April from 18:00 until Friday 21 April at 20:00
Our trip ends here
Loano, SV, Italia
Tuesday 25 April from 16:00 until Tuesday 25 April at 18:00
Reviews of WWF Travel
Other important information
LIFE ON BOARD
The boat is equipped with 4 comfortable cabins and a spacious dinette. Three cabins (two doubles and one bunk) dedicated to guests and one to the skipper; the biologist will occupy the dinette.
The galley will be done by the participants once everyone has arrived at the port; the skipper will give some indications and advice.
This experience is based on the spirit of sharing, so everyone on board will be involved in the various activities including cooking, tidying up, helping with maneuvers and many others. The atmosphere will be convivial and informal.
WHAT TO BRING
For luggage, soft bags or backpacks are recommended, as well as boat or sea shoes to be used only on board. Don't forget your car phone charger, slippers, fins and mask, sunscreen, biodegradable shampoo and shower gel, wax to protect yourself in the event of rain and a great desire to have fun with care and adaptability.
HOW TO REACH THE BOARDING PLACE
The port of Loano is located in the heart of the Riviera di Ponente, a short walk from the centre. Easy to reach by car, train or possibly plane. The closest airports are those of Genoa and Nice (1h).
The Loano train station is about a 15-minute walk from the port.
Cancellations and Refund
For all cetacean watching and research cruises with SKIPPER on board of a SAILBOAT or GOLET the Standard Sailsquare Policies apply..
- If you are more than 45 days away from departure, you can
pay a deposit of about 30% and pay the
balance within 30 days before departure. For this type
of payment there is a handling fee of 25€..
- As long as the Experience is Not Confirmed, you can cancel your reservation at any time and receive a refund of the amount paid.
- If the Experience is Confirmed, you can cancel your reservation up to 30 days before departure and receive a full refund.
- If available for the selected Experience, you can choose our Extended Refund Terms and cancel your booking at any time up to the departure, and receive a refund of the paid amount, upon the occurrence of certain conditions (illness, including Covid-19, work-related reason, domestic emergency, previous medical conditions and many more).
If your vacation is not confirmed, you may pay:
- 30% as a deposit at the time of booking
- The balance when the vacation is confirmed or, 30 days before departure if it is not confirmed before.
If the vacation is confirmed, you can pay:
- 60% as a deposit at the time of booking
- The balance 30 days before departure.
- Unconfirmed vacation: you can cancel when you want: you will receive a full refund of the amount paid, net of any additional services.
- Confirmed vacation: if you cancel your reservation 30 or more days before departure, a penalty of 60% will apply. a 60% penalty. If you cancel less than 30 days days before departure, a penalty of 100% applies.
Knowing what expenses are included and excluded from your booking fee will enable you to have a good idea of the total cost of your chosen experience.
Included in the price.
- Final cleaning
- Mandatory medical and baggage insurance
- WWF guide
Not included in the price.
- Meals/drinks consumed ashore
- Trip from and to embarkment/disembarkment port
To be paid onboard.
In addition to the price, there will be some additional expenses that you will incur during your trip. Expenses have been listed below.
- Meals onboard
- Mooring fees
- Drinks onboard
The estimated expenses for the rest of the holiday are approximately 50-150€ per person.